Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sweet Potato Casserole

Another of my nephew's favorite dishes that I make is sweet potato casserole. The first time he had it, he happened to be sitting next to it at Thanksgiving one year. He kept piling more and more on his plate until his dad had to remind him that there were other people at the table! :) So, when my sister-in-law asked me to make this for his party, I was honored.

I got this recipe from Parents Magazine when The Boy was a baby. We fell in love with it and it's a must-have for every holiday celebration: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. I hope you like it as much as we do.

Sweet Potato Casserole

1 40oz can sweet potatoes in light syrup, drained (I would imagine you could bake and then scoop out the insides of fresh sweets, if you enjoy the extra work) ;)
1/2 cup half and half (and PLEASE use this because anything with less fat content makes it a bit watery....I know this from experience)
1 egg
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, well drained
mini marshmallows
chopped walnuts, optional (I don't use nuts)

Grease a 2 qt shallow casserole dish. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine potatoes, half and half, egg, brown sugar, spice, and salt until smooth (I throw them in my Kitchen Aid mixer and mix until smooth.) Fold in pineapple. Pour into the casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with marshmallows and nuts (if using). Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: