Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy Birthday to my "Other Mother"



Twenty four years ago, I was not only blessed by marrying my best friend, but I was also blessed by inheriting his family.

My dear mother-in-law, who I refer to as my 'other mother' and I became fast friends. I know that I can pick up the phone and chat with her about anything. Whenever we're visiting, we spend hours talking about every day life, books, or whatever comes to mind. She taught me to cook Scott's favorite foods.

She even taught me how to fix my hair the time I mistakenly decided to get it frosted when I turned 30. I must have gone through a mid-life crisis, because believe me, I am not meant to be a blonde! I came home from the salon, Scott looked at me in disbelief and asked me to please call his mother to find out how to fix it, pronto! She just chuckled, said, "Oh honey...I've been there, done that!" and proceeded to tell me which hair color to go buy.

She's Grammy to The Boy. She's the type of Grammy who used to buy him messy toys and would get great pleasure whenever he was covered in paint, egg dye, or whatever else they got into at the time. She even bought him a pot-bellied pig one year for Easter, but Scott made her take it back before The Boy saw it because we weren't raising a pig in our house, thankyouverymuch.

A few years ago, she and her husband were looking for a vacation destination. Ed loves to fish and she loves the beach, so they settled on an island in VA. The next year, they stayed a few weeks longer...the next year, they stayed a few weeks longer than that. Then, last year, they decided to rent a place for a year and at the end of this past year, they renewed their lease because they love it so much. We visited twice this past summer and enjoyed the time we spent with them. She has made their vacation home extremely comfortable and 'homey.' She has that knack wherever they live, though.

She is very much the definition of a lady....and is one of the most beautiful people I've ever met. Ever.

Happy Birthday, Patty! Enjoy your day and live it up! May you have many, many more! (and I'm so happy you're living your adventure!)
xoxo

No comments: