Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Two Great Books....

I've mentioned before that I enjoy reading.  Sometimes I like to read fluff, but most of the time, I like to read something that has substance to it.  I belong to a book club with some wonderful women and we all take turn choosing a book each month.  March was my turn to choose and I chose One Thousand White Women:  The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus.  One of the things that completely fascinated me about this book is the fact that it was written by a man, but in a woman's voice.  Click on the link and you can read the synopsis of the book.  It's a beautiful piece of historical fiction and I highly recommend it. 

Saturday, I started (and finished!) the book Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez.  This book was about the relationship between the slave owners and their enslaved black mistresses.  Click on the link to read the full synopsis for this book also.  It's a fascinating, and heart-breaking read. 

Do you have any good books that you would recommend? 

1 comment:

MOV said...

I just finished "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin, and although it was difficult to get past what I considered sub-par writing, it was well-researched and inspiring. She tackles different areas of her life month-by-month and reprioritizes things to achieve more day-to-day happiness and calm. I do recommend it (I got it from the library).
best,
MOV