Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mmmmm....CAKE!!!

The boy is home for spring break.  I'm doing everything humanly possible to spoil the heck out of him while he's home.  At 5:30 this morning (I KNOW!) I decided to bake a cake.  (It's now 7:40am and I'm ready for a nap, but since I have to work today, that isn't going to happen!) 

I love those community cookbooks that people contribute recipes to and then sell for charity.  I got this recipe from a community cookbook.  Some people may call this Hawaiian Wedding Cake, some call it Aloha Cake.  I call it Heaven.  ;)

You start off by baking a yellow cake according to the package directions in a 9x13 baking pan.


Once the cake is cooled, beat an 8 oz package of cream cheese until it's creamy.

Add to that a small box of vanilla instant pudding (and please, spill some on the counter so that I'll feel better about myself), along with a cup of milk.

Stir in a 20 oz can of drained, crushed pineapple.  Then, think to yourself, hey!  This is fruit, so go ahead and lick the spatula at 6:30am because fruit is good for breakfast, right?  Spread this on top of the baked and cooled cake.

Then, open a very large container of Cool Whip (I know...that stuff is fake whipped cream and if you can't get over that, then I guess you could make your own whipped cream...whatever floats your boat.  I happen to love Cool Whip in small doses.)  Anyway, spread the Cool Whip over the pineapple layer.
Cover the cake with plastic wrap and put it into the fridge and try to stop yourself from eating 1/2 of it for breakfast. 

It's been awhile since I've baked a cake and I absolutely love cake.  In fact, I love cake so much that I've been known to buy a box of Zebra Cakes and eat the entire box for dinner.  Maybe.

Go ahead and make this cake.  Your family will love you.  Your hips?  Not so much.

No comments: