Monday, October 4, 2010

Watch out, Sasquatch, You have Nothing on Mothman

A few years ago, we went to Halloweekends at Cedar Point with my cousin* and her husband. Brad was wearing a Mothman t-shirt and I was intrigued. They had just gone to the Mothman festival in Point Pleasant, WV earlier that year. Apparently, Mothman was first seen near Point Pleasant in 1966 near an old TNT plant. Then, in 1967, he was seen near the Silver Bridge. Shortly afterward, the bridge collapsed killing 46 people.

In the years following the bridge collapse, rumors have been flying saying that the Mothman was sighted before the Twin Towers attack, the tsunami in India, Chernobyl, and other disasters. Hmmmm.....

Of course, I'm sure there is a rational explanation for the sightings....over-active imaginations, a large bird, etc. I thought it would be a fun topic for October. So, if you need an idea for a Halloween costume, you could dress up as Mothman!

*She is actually The Man's cousin, but I claim her as my own.


1 comment:

Meg Kross said...

AHH! I just watched the Mothman Prophecies before i came back to school! That tale is scary! Have you seen the movie? RIchard Gere is in it.