Thursday, August 5, 2010

Let them eat cake!

The Boy and his girlfriend came to visit for a few days when camp was finished. (He met her at camp...we like her...and that's all I'm going to say about that.) I went grocery shopping (according to The Man, we never have food in the house unless The Boy is coming home...whatever!) and started planning what to cook. I saw some blackberries at the store, so I wanted to bake something with them in it.

When I asked TG (the girlfriend) if she liked blackberry cobbler, she said that she normally didn't like cooked fruit. I don't like RAW fruit! lol This is going to sound really weird, but bananas gag me. Watching someone eat a banana gags me. Peeling bananas gags me. HOWEVER, I love banana bread (once I get over the peeling part and the smell of the raw, overly ripe bananas....that just gives me a willy!)

Back to the blackberries. I went through some cookbooks and settled on a recipe in my Southern Living cookbook that Mimi bought for me years ago. It's the 1986 annual recipes book. I love this cookbook! I use it every Christmas for my peanut blossom cookies, among other yummy dishes. The original recipe calls for blueberries, but I substituted blackberries.

Huckle-Buckle Blueberry (Blackberry)

1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar, divided
1 egg
1 2/3 flour, divided
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups fresh berries
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (I only used 1/4 tsp)
1/4 cup butter

Cream softened butter; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg; beat well.

Combine 1 1/3 cup flour, baking powder, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.

Pour batter into greased 8 inch square baking pan. Top with berries.




Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/3 cup flour, and cinnamon. Cut 1/4 cup butter into mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle over berries.



Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes.



We had vanilla ice cream on the side and I think even GF enjoyed it. ;)

*This obviously wasn't the cobbler that I originally thought I would make. It was more like a coffee cake...a very moist and delicious coffee cake.

No comments: