Sunday, April 11, 2010

Catching up with old friends

On my last day in my hometown, I had a 'date' with an old friend. Cheryl and I went to high school together and we recently reconnected through Facebook. I left my mom's around 8:30am to drive the 1/2 hour drive to Cheryl's house. She greeted me by running out to my car and giving me a huge hug! I actually got tears in my eyes...it was so good to see her!

We sat in her kitchen, drank about a gallon of coffee and talked. We reminisced about the times when our boys were in kindergarten together and were best friends. We talked about high school and what we've done since...where life has taken each of us since we have last seen one another.

Cheryl has the most beautiful long, curly hair. I was getting pointers from her about my curly hair (it seems like age brought on this mess...my hair used to be straight in my youth, but with age, it has turned super curly and unruly....and to think I used to wish for curly hair...be careful what you wish for!) Cheryl took me 'shopping' in her closet. She loaded a bag with curly hair shampoo, conditioner, setting cream and gave me pointers on how to blow out my hair, while scrunching it to make it do what I wanted it to do.

After catching up, she received a phone call from another high school friend. She then told me that she had a surprise for me. We were going to have lunch with Jody at Mario's in Weirton! I was very excited to see her. Jody's parents and my parents were very good friends. We frequently got together when we were growing up.

Cheryl and I hopped into her car and drove across the river to Weirton. Jody was waiting in the parking lot when we got there. I hopped out and gave Jody a huge hug. It was so good to see her! After having lunch and talking, it was time to go because Cheryl had to go to work. We said our goodbyes and Cheryl and I drove back to her house. We went back in, visited for a few more minutes, then I left so that she could make her 'long' commute to work...in her home office. :)

Luckily, I'll get to see my two old friends and many more this June when The Man and I go to our 25th high school reunion. We are looking forward to that very much!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love the renewal that meeting with "old" friends can bring. Kinda makes ya feel young again! ;) XOXO!

Love,
Kimmy

Cheryl said...

Aaahhh, this made me cry! We did have such a wonderful day and I am so blessed to have a friend like you in my life!