Thursday, May 5, 2011

Ole'



In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I'm going to share my sister's Enchilada Casserole recipe.  As you probably already have guessed, I am NOT Mexican (the huge clue being my very fair, freckled skin and reddish hair).  I am basically a European Mutt.  But that's ok.  I'm going to celebrate the Mexican holiday anyway by making one of my new favorite recipes (thanks, Margie!)

Enchilada Casserole
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
Southwestern seasoning (I use Mrs. Dash's Southwest Chipotle), to taste...I'm going to say about 1 Tbs or so.
Cumin (I leave this out...but you can use however much you like)
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
12oz bag of frozen corn, thawed
4oz can chopped green chiles
dried cilantro (about 1tsp) or fresh if it's available
Mix above ingredients together

8 6-inch flour tortillas
shredded Mexican cheese
1 large can or 2 small cans mild enchilada sauce

Pour enchilada sauce to cover bottom of casserole dish.
Cover with 4 tortilla shells
Layer 1/2 of the chicken mixture
Cover with shredded cheese
Spread more enchilada sauce over chicken/cheese
Cover with 4 tortilla shells
Pour rest of enchilada sauce over shells
Layer remaining chicken mixture
Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees
Uncover and put more cheese over the top
Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes


Pour a margarita and enjoy!


No comments: